Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What if Peanut Butter and Jelly never met?

      I was driving down the road and saw this car with the most awful colors.  A bright almost florescent green with an almost mustard yellow trim. I thought to myself.  That doesn't go together at all.  Maybe its the way my mind works sometimes.  I always think things should fit or go together.  A strange but perhaps telling example is when I open a box of Samoas.  I may eat two at first but then I see that the row looks half empty and I'm compelled to eat the other two.   If I'm two cookies away from finishing the box, I'll finish them. It just doesn't ease my mind to leave two cookies in a box and put it away.  Finish them and be done.   Now that we've somewhat diagnosed me with OCD and I've failed to explain what I mean, I'll try again.
        It makes me wonder why things go together or what makes two strange things work well together?   My prime example is peanut butter and jelly.   Peanut butter with its...well peanut butter taste and jelly with its sugary sweet taste often highlighted by grape, strawberry or peach flavoring.   It seems odd to put those two together yet they are a match made in sandwich heaven.   I've heard rumblings of peanut butter and bananas,  Pb with honey and Pb and pickles.  They may all be wonderful pairings however let us remember that peanut butter and jelly blazed the trail originally. 
       I guess my point in all this nonsensical rambling is that sometimes in life things fit that shouldn't or things go together like peas and carrots despite looking like mayonnaise and meatballs.  My advice?  Don't knock anything until you try it.  I used to eat my eggs naked but now its hot sauce or ketchup.  I used to use only ketchup for my fries but now mayonnaise has been added.  I used to put orange juice in my Coors light.  Wait...that was my roommate.  What mixes well for you may not mix well for me but that's life baby.   I'm not entirely sure this blog will make any sense to anyone but its good to be back!  

No comments:

Post a Comment