Monday, August 6, 2012

We're back a.k.a. The Cuckoo Redux

First and foremost, I would like to apologize to all five of our readers for not posting a blog since February!   Believe me.  I've had a lot to say and could have shared with the masses but allow myself to explain myself.  I was in prison.  Well not an actual prison but I just completed a two year stretch at George Mason University getting my Masters.   The good news is that I'm done and officially free of those educational chains.   The bad news is that I really feel like a recently released prisoner who is trying to adjust to the outside world again.  I feel like Brooks from Shawshank Redemption except I don't long for the confines of prison or a rigorous grad school program EVER again.

It might sound ridiculous to describe graduate school like its a prison sentence but in my case, it felt that way.  I mean I was alive and well for the last two years and did enjoy life's many wonders such as holidays, birthday parties and Papa John Sunday football deals but anytime I did anything outside of the curriculum, I encountered what I call "grad guilt".   The workload is intense and no matter how great of a student you are and how on top of things you are, there is always more you could do.  So while I'm sitting there thumbing through a Rolling Stone, I was constantly thinking that I had no time to read and that whatever was due that week needed to be done first.  Even after I completed it, it still felt like something was lingering over me.

And planning things?   Nope.  Someone could invite me to a square dancing event in November featuring the last twelve swimsuit models wearing nothing but twinkie creme and I would need to consult my syllabus, assignment log and calendar first.   If it fell anywhere near a paper being due, I'd have to cancel.   Sad isn't it?  I'm probably echoing the sentiments of many and I applaud you for doing it because it was hell for me.  I was a goof off slacker in high school, an older somewhat smarter goof off slacker in undergrad and found out quickly that I couldn't be that guy in grad school.  At any rate, it's over so now I can get back to what really matters in life.   Good family, good friends and good times.   As for this here blog?   There will be one a week at least and possibly more. Hopefully a new one every Monday.  Possibly two but let's not kid ourselves.  Since graduation, I've gotten really good at doing nothing so you may even read a blog about nothing which will probably be my longest.   Once again, feel free to critique, ridicule, applaud or enamor yourselves with the blog.  Doesn't matter what you say or think, this nonsense will be pumped out to the masses like gravy on turkey day.   Until next time my five readers!   

No comments:

Post a Comment