Thursday, February 3, 2011

Is that a beard you're wearing? Can I have it?

Ever since I was a small boy, I have wanted a beard.  When I was growing up my father had a moustache and still does today.  I'd ask him if it hurt to wear and he'd say "I'm not wearing one, I grew it".  Of course, that set my mind off in a frenzy.  I asked him how he grew it.   He said he just woke up each day and more hair appeared there.  I was even more fascinated!    So each day, I woke up looking for this hair to appear.  Each day, I'd wake up to disappointment.  It got the point where I was asking Santa Claus for a beard.  Instead, he got me a magnifying glass to scour my upper lip, chin and cheeks for those impending hairs. 

My senior year of high school, I decided to grow whatever I could grow out of my lip.  The result?  A very, very poor attempt at a moustache.  For proof, check out my high school pic on Facebook.  My next serious attempt at a moustache or beard was in 2002 during a road trip.  I didn't shave once!  The result?  A patchy mess of a beard.  I kind of looked like I glued hair to my face.  Sexy and a look the ladies couldn't resist but somehow did.  Once i got off the trip, I shaved and life went on. 

Early 2010, I tried a moustache after being told by many beard growers that you must start small.  The moustache actually started coming in but nothing else on my damn face would!  It would reach the stubble length and then fizz out.  I laughed, cried and shaved again.  Now here we are in 2011 and I'm still wanting that beard.  I want a beard and want to grow my hair out at times too. Not sure why.  Maybe I want to be like my Pops.  Maybe it's a challenge to me.  I always like the challenge of things in life.  At any rate, don't be surprised if you see me this summer rockin' a beard and longer hair.  I have a wedding in May so that's likely when I'd decide to start the growth...again.  If it looks bad, tell me.  If it looks good, tell me.  If it's hard to tell me, just drop subtle gifts at my door like razors, shaving cream, mirrors or Miracle Gro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment