Sunday, February 20, 2011

Natalie Imbruglia was my first...

Natalie Imbruglia was my first adventure in one hit wonderdom.  That's right.  I'm that guy that sees a pretty girl in a music video and runs out to by the album.  Two reasons I do this.  The first is obvious but if not, I'll explain.  I do it because I hope that within those precious CD inserts lies more pictures of her.   I know this sounds juvenile and somewhat pervish but I'm only speaking the truth and quite frankly I am probably speaking for many.  If not, live vicariously through me fellow men.    The second reason I do it is the hope that the rest of the CD is whoopass and  I've jumped the gun on what could be the greatest album of the year.  I did this with Nelly Furtado's first album and was ahead of the curve successfully.  Natalie however, taught me a valuable lesson in music, money and life.   Beauty is only skin deep or in this case paper thin.

We've all been there right?   Chumbawumba.  Semisonic.  The SugarHill Gang.  Aha.  Devo.  Deep Blu Something.  Even my hero Patrick Swayze (God rest his soul) is the owner of one.   Now of course these artists had other songs and some were even hits albeit not in America and not mainstream.   And some of the hardcore fans of the aforementioned bands would argue that these bands have made quality underground, original music since these hits.  Some would even say the one hit wonder destroyed them and they rebuilt themselves after the fall.  Whatever the case, we've all been bitten once or twice by the hype of a song which compelled us to run out to Sam Goody's and buy Biz Markie.  Yep.  The album with "Just a friend"?  I own it.

Not to get off topic here even though I am, I actually have very few albums with tons of great songs on them.  Older albums I can definitely do that with.   The Clash's London Calling for example.  The newer stuff seems to filled with a few quality tracks and a lot of filler.   Some of the newer rap/hip hop albums have so many contributions from other artists that it feels a lot like eating a twinkie.  No real substance in there.  It goes without saying that we are a fickle society and one that gets bored easily.  We like a song and then we move on to the next.  Very few songs have the staying power.   I haven't been bitten by the one hit wonder curse in quite some time.  Thanks to Itunes, I buy songs one hit at a time now.  There's a few artists that I love dearly that I'll go that extra buck for.  311, DMB, Beck, The Chili Peppers etc.   What I'm saying is this.  Be selective out there.   Lots of muck amongst some good music out there.  Your tried and trues will guide you but be careful of the Daniel Powders and Vertical Horizons.   And no I didn't buy those.  I did buy Willa Ford though.

No comments:

Post a Comment