Friday, January 14, 2011

31 FLAVORS..........of bacon?

For those that follow me on Facebook, you know that I was recently shopping for a GPS.  For those that don't know me on Facebook, I asked the masses for opinions on which model to buy.  I asked because when i went to do research on one, there were literally HUNDREDS to choose from.  I can sort of accept the variety since they've been out for a while and have numerous features.  Only three real brands to choose from too.  That moment got the wheels cranking and then I went to the grocery store.

I went down the potato chip aisle.  Yes I said AISLE.  An entire side of an aisle dedicated to the most popular snack since 1853 as legend has it.   Don't get me wrong. I love chips.  I always will.  My cousin and I would down a bag of original Doritos in minutes back in the 80s. In fact, we'd pull them out of my aunt's grocery bag when she walked in and crushed them before she put away the milk.  However, notice i said original Doritos.  Do you know how many brands there are now?   17.  That's my count anyway.  I understand its evolution of product, demands by the consumer and ultimately its a product geared to make money.  What I'm blabbing about is we might possibly be over saturated with choices.

I did a tour of duty at Starbucks and the light should have flicked on back then but I was too busy being a barista to notice all the blends, scones, danishes, independent artist Cd's etc.   Not too mention the menu had sub-menus.  Inevitably, a new product comes out and competition arises.   Then the original has to step up their game which means more choices, options, colors, shapes, smells.  Some even include batteries.  If you really want to marvel at something, go to Staples or Office Depot and check out the pen aisle.

Making a choice isn't overwhelming but its much more of a process than it used to be.  With more choice comes indecision.   What's funny is that I was once told that all we need is on the outer edges of the store.  The aisles?  All fluff. Guess what?  That's where the bacon is baby!   It might have a twist here and there (Try honey bacon) but you won't find an entire aisle of it.  A section or two?  Sure.  If by chance I'm wrong and there actually 31 flavors of bacon out there, you can choose 31 ways to beat me with it!   That is my random observation of the week.  Next up: Why Arrested Development is the greatest show ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment