Sunday, January 16, 2011

Why I love Arrested Development!!!!!

First let me clarify. I am not talking about the hip hop group who spawned such hits as "Tennessee", "Mr. Wendal" and "Everyday People".  I am talking about the highly acclaimed but quickly canceled television show that was on Fox from 2003-2006.  It starred numerous characters who have shined over the years, revived Jason Bateman's career, kick started Michael Cera's career and introduced the world to Will Arnett and Portia De Rossi.  Not to mention, Ron Howard narrated it while The Fonz and even Chachi of "Happy Days" fame were in it.

The show is beyond hilarious and was ahead of its time with the handheld camera style of shooting which you see today in shows like the Office and Modern Family.  The show's two strengths are the cast and the writing.  I really can't put one over the other.  On the surface, it's a story about a riches to rags family who struggles with their financially strapped lives.  Jason Bateman's character Michael Bluth serves as the moral compass of the family and is always trying to keep the family together while trying to keep his imprisoned father's company above water.  In my opinion, the genius of the show lies in its writing and how the story is presented.  By that I mean the documentary style shooting with abrupt cutaways that highlight an element of the story like a photo of a character or sometimes a scene from a previous episode in a flashback setting.

I could seriously go on and on about this show. I could reference episodes and quote things to you but it wouldn't give it justice.  So it's quite clear.  Watch them.  I don't even think they are more than $20 bucks now.  Buy it, rent it, borrow it.   Hell I will let you borrow it.  All I ask is you let me know what you think and if you're an attractive ,cute, disease free, sweet smelling woman AND love the show, I'll marry you.  Do it.  Then we can talk about what a "Cornballer" is and no it's not that!    Up next for this blog?  A summary of my cross country trip and the man who inspired it!

No comments:

Post a Comment